For this assignment you will research the mental health of either Frida Kahlo or Vincent Van Gogh.
Both of these artists created many self-portraits. Your job is to determine whether we can see signs of mental illness within her or his self-portrait.
You must then select two articles to analyze their work:
- One of these articles should be about one or more of her or his self-portraits.
- The other article should be about assessing mental illness through observation OR an article discussing the mental illness of either Kahlo or Van Gogh.
- Write a 500-700 word essay in which you analyze the research on her or his mental illness.
- Analyze one or more self-portraits by either Kahlo or Van Gogh. Do you believe the portrait reflects how the artist was feeling at the time? Why or why not?
- Argue whether you believe it possible to diagnose someone who is no longer living based on an image of them? How?
- What are the challenges scholars face when considering the mental illness of artists?
- You may use APA, MLA, or Turabian for citing sources.
Please see the rubric for how this assignment will be graded.
Criteria Ratings Points:
1. Solid Sources: Discussion of at least two written sources that support your ideas. 5.0 pts
2. Argument: Strong argument in which the students explains the validity of diagnosing a dead artist. Discussion of the challenges faced when considering the mental illness of artists. 5.0 pts
3. Self-Portrait analysis: Analysis of one or more self-portraits by the artist that supports student’s argument. 5.0 pts
4. Bibliography: Identification of sources and images using APA style. 5.0 pts
Total Points: 20.0